Friday, June 13, 2008

Obituaries

Remember the scene in Mel Brooks' History of the World where a lovely lady "sizes" up a lineup of men? She was grouping them into the "yeses," "nos," and "yes! yes! yeses!!!!"?

Sometimes I, too, like to measure things in terms of "long" and "short."

I didn't always fixate on the obituary pages. Now it's part of my daily routine--checking out how long or short a time someone lived, what they did with their lives, who was left among family and friends. I'd figure that donation suggestions tied into either the cause of death or a favorite charity.

It appalls me at how many young people have died prematurely. It makes me face my mortality head-on especially when the deceased is younger than I. Accidents and disease can strike without warning. May you live your life the way you'd want to be remembered.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think this is so appropriate since NBC's Tim Russert passed away on Friday. He definitely lived his life the way he wanted to be remembered! Great man. Unfortunately, he did like so many others, leave behind a loving family who will miss him. Including his own father, who as many times as we hear it, it never gets easier to stomach it: a parent should never have to bury a child.

Ms. 50something said...

Tim definitely lived an exemplary life--he's an inspiration to me. As is my own sister who died prematurely at 25 years of age. I'll always remember her kindness and exuberance and the way the whole room lit up when she entered. She rejoiced with me and comforted me. Her death took an excruciating toll on our whole family. I've seen too many parents bury their children (one aunt and uncle lost 2 of their 3 children). The sad part to more people living longer is an increased likelihood that this will occur.