Saturday, June 7, 2008

Bed Issues

Goldilocks isn't the only one with a bed issue. Bob and I often find one bed too hard, one too soft, and sometimes, if we're lucky, one bed that's just right.
Vacations can be a problem. We occasionally like to sample B&B's (honestly, these are much more fun than hotels, frequently at similar costs, and we've only had a couple of sour experiences) but find that the quality of the beds may be sacrificed for charming decor.

Some of my friends swear that the Tempurpedic beds make sweet dreaming. Some of my budget-challenged ones have suggested memory foam mattress covers.
A few days ago I went to Costco and purchased a mattress cover. Getting it off the shelves and into my car was no easy feat. I unrolled it in the living room to let it air out (be sure to do this or the fumes will overwhelm you). Yesterday I dragged it into the bedroom and installed it adding a few inches to our already towering bed.
During the night I'd semi-consciously ask myself if my back hurt (like it always did before). No? Back to sleep. Up again...and so on.
This morning I scoured my body for aches and pains. Amazing. No pains in the back--I hardly feel like myself!!!


4 comments:

Diane J Standiford said...

Towering bed is right. Had to sell our bed when my leg could no longer swing up, nor I lift it! A friend, short, uses a step ladder!! INSANE!

Ms. 50something said...

Though a high bed might look great, it's not worth a strain or sprain. Stick with a regular bed or better yet, a hospital bed, especially if you have mobility issues.

swampy said...

We recently got a memory-foam topper for our bed and we love it. Read the blog post I made on it for more info. We would love to have a full memory foam bed.
Far as the towering bed goes, ours is just high enough to sit on. Then we can flop backwards and roll to get in. Learned to do this in reverse for getting up when sciatica flared.

Ms. 50something said...

Hi Glenn,
Loved your comments on your blog--very informative./a great review. I feel like I've hit a jackpot with the topper. I don't have to go out and buy an expensive new mattress and boxspring hoping that it will help my back (even if it were returnable--what a hassle). The topper is a temporary solution until a foam mattress fits into my budget.