Friday, October 30, 2009

Smoking: It's Never Too Late to Stop


Even if you've smoked two packs a day for 40 years, you are likely to add years to your life, breathe more easily and have more energy...if you quit. You'll also have more extra money and your food will taste better.

Your clothes and hair will smell better.

You'll be setting a healthy example for your kids and grandkids.

Your chance of heart attack, stroke and other circulatory diseases diminishes within the first year.

And much more.

The bad news is that the first few weeks are very hard. You may become grumpy, hungry or tired. Headaches, depression, sleeping habits and concentration may plague you.

BUT the good news is that there is a lot of help out there. You can join a support group, get counseling or use nicotine replacement therapy. Find the organizations, doctors and clinics offering stop-smoking programs by opening your phone book or check out this site to find out more than you ever wanted to know (!) about smoking.


6 comments:

Diane J Standiford said...

My mother smoked from 17 on, as a child, born when she was 29, I nagged her to stop. (I have NEVER smoked) She tried everything to stop--no dice. In her late 60s she went to a hypnotist, stuff she didn't believe in, and she never smoked again after ONE visit! She is still smoke free at 82!!

karen said...

My brother -in-law retired last year and stopped smoking. So far so good. Still not smoking. Has a little tummy on him now. But that is ok.

Ms. 50something said...

My mother-in-law got pneumonia and stopped cold turkey. It can be done but must be excruciating. The hypnotist sounds like a great plan!

Anita said...

Hi...I paged trough your blog a little and I like what I see. I think I'll follow along. :) I'm pushing 52 soon and will probably be able to relate to much of what you write.
Blessings.

Ms. 50something said...

Thanks, Anita. Hope my information helps in any way. Nice butterfly wings!

Anita said...

Wish I could say that I own that chair, but I'm at the Botanical Gardens. :)