1. Make your own household cleaning products and bypass harmful toxins. Mix water, baking soda and vinegar. Store in a glass jar.
2. Don't throw away, freecycle it. List your item in freecycle.org. Then pass it along to one of your responders.
3. Use efficient Energy Star light bulbs to replace your traditional bulbs.
4. Place a brick into your toilet tank.
5. Understand that appliances use energy even when they turned off. If you don't want to unplug them when you are not using them, try using a "smart" power strip with multiple outlets.