Simple adjustments can make these foods not only more healthful but also reduce our risk for disease:
1. Understand that standard serving sizes are smaller than you realize. If you decrease your portion size gradually, you'll be less likely to notice the change.
2. Shift the portions on your plate. Emphasize plant-based foods and reduce animal protein.
3. Substitute ingredients, such as exchanging cream for reduced fat milk.
4. Add healthy ingredients to your recipe, such as vegetables to spaghetti sauce or beans to chili.
5. Treat yourself to some of your favorite comfort foods for special occasions.