Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Toastmasters: Facing Your Fears and Doing It Anyway

Today in Toastmasters each member presented a toast to our club's 80 years (the 2nd oldest club in the world!).  I recalled a famous author and spokesperson who delivered her messages using some of the most exquisite words strung together that I've ever heard outside of the classic writers.  She spoke about the third chapter of our lives from 50 - 75 years as an opportunity, a time to remember and a time to make an imprint on our world.

The problem:  She read her entire speech, a beautiful discourse that could have had even more impact had she summoned the courage to speak from memory and from the heart.

After the early morning club meeting, I attended a play where my granddaughter participated as one of the crowd.  No particular attention was drawn to her and she liked it that way.  She preferred to be out of the spotlight (a contrast to her feisty, animated demeanor she displays at home). But let me tell you, I recognize how much courage it took just for her to get on the stage.  Because I used to look in the mirror and see the same fear.

Thanks, Toastmasters, for your instruction and encouragement.


3 comments:

Grandpa Shayne said...

Susan, Thanks for the reminder about facing our fears. It seems that fear comes at all ages. I enjoyed being in a Toastmaster club about 20 years ago. It was a tremendous help to me in many ways.

Diane J Standiford said...

I was a part of speech meets all through high school and into college; one of the most powerful parts of my life's journey.

Donna Gibbs said...

Susan,
I'm in awe of the courage you've shown by participating in Toastmasters. Facing fears at any age is a challenge. You go girl! I'm so proud.

Donna Gibbs