Monday, April 28, 2008

Mama Knows Best: Clothes for the Older Woman



Mom says I'm in the wrong business.

Mom: Do you realize how hard it is for women my age to buy clothes? When will a good designer produce clothes which have 3/4 length sleeves, fullness around the middle, and a round neckline? We don't want trendy. We want simplicity, comfort, and good fabrics.

Me: But Mom, what do you want me to do about it?

Mom: Become a clothing manufacturer. Cater to seniors. They'll flock to your stores.

Me: Yeah, Mom, I could do that...provided I have a couple of million bucks, some knowledge of the clothing business, plus a lot of chutzpah (defined by Wikipedia as "the quality of audacity, for good or for bad"), all of which I'm sorely lacking. But, Mom, I can supply people with links to websites which might help out. Would that make you happy?

Mom: Give it a try. I'll let you know.

Here goes...

If this works, you have my mom to thank. If this stinks, blame it on me. Either way, I'd like to hear from you.

The NY Times agrees that older women are harder to dress.

I've watched enough of those what to wear and not to wear shows that I know that a good bra-fit is essential.

When in doubt, ask an expert.

Or study wardrobe videos for the baby boomer.

Lola and Gigi will help you request the right size from different designers.

For reasonable prices, check out J.C. Penneys,, Macy's, and Chicos.

But I think you're best bet is to find a style (and pattern) that looks good on you and have the clothes made to fit. Spend more on fewer items.  Check out different fabrics (maybe you can find them on sale!).   Adorn or accessorize your clothes differently. And should you be able to sew (good for you!) but have vision difficulties, there's help for you.

5 comments:

LN-Santa Clarita said...

Clothes for adults not teenyboppers!

Ms. 50something said...

Yes! Clothes that look right for our age. Haven't you noticed that so many of the stores are catering to the younger crowd and forgetting the rest of us? Yes, the kids have money but it's a big mistake for retailers to ignore the group with the most disposable income.

Happysmile said...

So so so so true! Your mother is right on. YES! 50something, you seem to have a natural understanding of what's needed - go for it!

Ms. 50something said...

Why don't you go for it, HappySmile. If you're anything like your name, you'd charm all the ladies in Active Retirement Communities. Sell them from a line of samples made specifically for that group! Go for it.

Laura said...

Sometimes I wonder whether individuals look in the mirror before leaving the house! Women can look beautiful at any age. The secret lies in dressing in fashion that is appropriately flattering. Thank you for the wonderful fashion advise.

Laura Hamlett
Valencia, California