Saturday, April 26, 2008

Growing Up


My granddaughter's growing up. She got her 3rd tooth yesterday. Granted, it's not #1 or #2. But enough time has passed that this might also be cause for celebration.

Tomorrow they come for dinner. What do you serve someone who has just gotten her 3rd tooth? Not that Nicole doesn't eat plenty now. In record time, she can clear off her tray and then hurl the remainder onto the floor.

I've watched the rhythm of her dining rituals with curiosity. I like the flinging part. Especially because she does it with such ferocity. Boy, that looks like fun! However, the old adage, "there are children starving somewhere," prohibits me from pitching food overboard.

Yet, I think to myself, there are definitely things (and some people) which I wouldn't hesitate to chuck should my conscience abandon me.

For instance, my life would be alot more pleasant without taxes.

I wouldn't mind cooking the bird that destroys my fountain (but I'm afraid the meat would be too tough).

I'd send the person who took my parking space to Siberia.

Maybe I could burn all the mail piling up on my desk in the fireplace I wish I had.

And that policeman who wrote me a ticket for a mere 20 miles over speed limit?

OK, back to dinner. I wonder how Nicole's 3rd tooth could handle some yummy ribs.

No comments: