Monday, July 12, 2010

Is Agave Syrup Nature's Alternative Sweetener?


A cousin recommended it so I went out and bought it--agave syrup, that is. I thought it would be the healthy, "natural" answer to my sweet tooth.

The syrup, however, is slightly more caloric than sugar. Some scientific studies reveal that agave syrup is up to 90% fructose and can harm the heart, increase diabetes risk and lower "good" cholesterol.

One recent study suggested that agave syrup has minimal antioxidant benefits--similar to refined sugar and corn syrup.

I hope I kept the receipt.



1 comment:

Diane J Standiford said...

Interesting. Our sweet tooth beckons! LOL Hey! I have started a new 50+ blog WHY I RETIRE IN SEATTLE I hope you will visit and I am linking to your always informative blog! Take care! Diane http://retireseattle.blogspot.com/