Tuesday, December 29, 2009

When A Book Isn't A Book

I looked down at the book laying on my dining room table. Well, it really wasn't a book. It was what optimism would look like if it came in 3-D rectangle.

After all, I'm heading to be with the grandkids and every minute, I suppose, is planned.

"Grandma, let's go swimming (in 60+ degree weather!)."

"Let's play Candyland" one granddaughter suggests, which really means "I intend to beat you even if I have to cheat."

"I'm hungry," the little one insists at the most inopportune times. Then we frantically search the bare shelves of our vacation spot for something that is halfway healthy and will satisfy her momentarily. I hand her a candy.

"Grandma, let's go swimming." Did I mention that the temperature is 60 degrees and rapidly descending?

No, I shall bring the book but I suppose it is more likely to become a door stop so our bedroom is light enough to scare away any bogeymen lurking about.

Check out 50somethinginfo.com for suggestions on how to be a super grandparent (or in my case, a highly optimistic, exhausted one.)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Escaping the life we live through reading is often the goal as we age. We either turn to a novel or a dvd for advice.
I am sure that the moments of grief that the little ones give you can become exhausting, but why escape when you have them to give you entertainment!

Diane J Standiford said...

LOL They say kids keep us young...

Ms. 50something said...

The entertainment is great. Their observations, however, can be demoralizing--"Grandma, how come you have green teeth?"!!!