Lately it featured an article on brain health. This is what I learned to promote good brain health:
1. What helps your cardiovascular system also benefits your brain and protects it from disease.
2. Exercise is a key factor to preserving brain function. Aerobic exercise, in particular, can improve brain activity and produce new brain cells and the connections between them.
3. Anything that exercises your brain is promoting good mental health.
4. Control your blood pressure.
5. Prevent or control your diabetes.
6. Control your weight--especially that bulge around your middle.
7. Lower your cholesterol naturally or with drugs.
8. Increase your good cholesterol.
9. Eat a heart-healthy diet. Alcohol in moderation has been linked to better cognitive functioning.
10. Large doses of vitamin B12 (under a doctor's supervision) may help with memory loss.