Friday, May 20, 2011

Mom's Miracle: Why It's Important to Plan Ahead

It's been a while since I last posted. That's because my mom, age 92 years, landed in the hospital three times since March.

This last visit looked like the final one. The rabbi lead the family in prayer for a miracle or for gentle passing (honestly, I don't remember because I was so distraught). Because mom was obviously struggling and in discomfort, I, as the health care advocate who knew her Do Not Resuscitate wishes, agonizingly ordered the removal of the breathing tube.

To our surprise (and the doctors consternation!) Mom started breathing on her own.

She is now home. She'll have nurse aide visits and physical therapy for as long as Medicare will cover the costs.

She uses a walker but is anxious to get rid of it. She continues to do her exercises as she brushes her teeth twice a day. She is feisty and sharp as ever.

And I am lucky to have her around for however much precious time she has left.

Please, please, please plan ahead. Have your loved one select a health care advocate. Provide your physician and hospital with a copy of your health care directive. Keep a copy of current medications in the medicine cabinet and/or above the refrigerator. Check out how hospice or palliative care can help. And do a lot of praying. I did.








3 comments:

Diane J Standiford said...

I keep telling people this: PLAN AHEAD! But over and over I see they won't. Too scary to think about? I can't get them to understand how planning makes it all easier, less scary, and best for all. I also know the best laid plans can go array---but we must try. God bless you both.

Keri said...

Hello 50something. Your Mothers story is pretty amazing. One has to admire a woman of that age pulling through like that.Bless her heart!

The rest of your blog is informative and good reading too. Love your intro message. So many things I can relate to.

I too am over 50 and have a couple of blogs. But have to say I'm astounded at how difficult it is to find people my age in the world of blogging. It's a little like looking for a needle in a haystack. I've begun to wonder if I'm alone out here among all the 20 and 30 somethings. So thanks for being there. Nice to find you, Keri

Keri said...

By the way.... I'm at

www.alwayscurtsywhenyousneeze.com

take care.