Monday, January 18, 2010

The Case Of The Missing Struedel: Boomer And Senior Hoard Goodies

This is one of my favorite times of year because our dear friends, Mario and Virginia, celebrate each anniversary in our town and we always have dessert and the customary annual catch-up conversation together. Virginia gives us the absolute best biscotti (ever). This time I told her that I'm not going to let my Mom know about it because she'd swipe it all.

"Do as I say, Not as I do" was never more applicable than with my Mom.

Mom always says you need to share. But just today she told me about the time she bought some struedel at a bazaar and broke her hard and fast rule.

Years ago she was in Victoria, B.C., where she sampled some struedel lovingly baked by a congregant. Mom bought all 8 bags, leaving nothing for any other prospective customer. As Mom said, "The struedel was baked just the way Mama used to make it."

This morning Mom fessed up that she ate every single piece of struedel in those 8 bags, "not sharing a single crumb with anyone else!" She also revealed that she has proof of the incident--because it all went to and still remains on her tuchas (rear end).

So I guess I get my "hoarding" instinct honestly. All that See's candy given to me by my library students and secretly stored in the dining room drawer also made its way to my backside.


1 comment:

Diane J Standiford said...

LOL, my mother LOVED sweets and pecan pie. I think after she retired at 59, she had pecan pie every breakfast (she ate out). In her mid-sixties she got Diabetes II. I limit my pastries.