Friday, May 23, 2008

Honey, Have You Made Any Friends?

I feel like I'm back in kindergarten.

We moved here about 5 years ago. Bob's occupied with his new career, selling cars, and I spend the bulk of my time working on a baby boomer/senior website. That leaves little time for cultivating new friends.

Aside from playing grandma to my pre-school dermatologist (age 4) and my toddler anesthesiologist (age 1), I've joined a leadership group. I meet monthly with Newcomers groups. I play Mahjong. I volunteer when I can. I've joined Toastmasters.

When Bob comes home, we discuss what we've done during the day. When he remembers that I've met up with some locals, he always asks (like mom used to do when I was 5), "Well, honey, did you meet any new friends?"

True friendships are hard for some of us to come by. Forming associations based on our professions or our kids and their extracurricular activities is no longer an option. Shared history obviously can't be created overnight. Old-timers already have their alliances and may have neither the desire nor energy for a new attachment. I can understand that.

I'm open to your suggestions. And I'm a quick study!

2 comments:

Bear Naked said...

Thanks for the Mahjong site.
I really enjoy playing it.

Ms. 50something said...

Hi Bear,
Try this: Tell the players you can't face your family unless you Mahj. This way you can play on their sympathies and maybe win a hand or two. Too bad my friends have caught on!!