Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Grandma's Theater Instructions

Last night I took my 4-year-old granddaughter to see "Annie." We arrived after our dinner date at a pizza parlor.

Armed with garlic breath, a feisty kid, and her devoted blankie, I made my way into the auditorium. Convinced that the villain (Rooster) would "get her," Haley planted herself firmly in the back row. Grandma countered that our tickets assigned us seats in Row H, well towards the front. I picked her up and carried her past several ushers, stepped on not a few feet, and plopped us down at the prearranged location.

Haley was convinced that Rooster (aka "bad guy") couldn't pluck us from our mid-row hideout. She carefully tucked "blankie" into my purse (I brought my big gold one for this reason only) where she could reach in to rub the satin binding for reassurance.

At 4 you're not much of a veteran play-goer. But at 4 you're not much of a vet at anything.

Haley was a champ, however. She needed little reminding about not kicking the seat in front of her. She kept her voice at a semi-appropriate volume. And she didn't complain (too much) when a head blocked her view.

For all you grandmas out there contemplating taking your grandkids to the theater, check out my tips:

Go potty (both of you) just before the play. It goes faster if you've already discussed why you use those paper thingies.

Don't drink too much (see above).

Arrive when the candy counter is camouflaged by customers.

Carry kleenex for those unanticipated sneezes.

Don't forget blankie.

Plan for company on your lap.

Have fun.

No comments: