Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I Don't Want to Slight Chocolate

The one thing I have in common with former President Ronald Reagan is that I, too, love jelly beans.

Every time I go to my local supermarket I am faced with a serious decision--do I or don't I attempt to walk down the jelly bean aisle because if I do, then my next dilemma is how much of each flavor do I scoop into my little plastic bag. Should I give in to my fetish, I can't wait to pop those tasty little artificial berries into my mouth. I vigilantly observe the grocery checker to determine where he put my stash.

Let's go back a few steps. There I am facing 25 different containers of jelly beans from bubble gum to pina colada to root beer. I'm overwhelmed with the variety. I'm grateful there aren't any See's Candies close by to distract me further.

Like my predicament with jelly beans I sometimes think I am faced with too many options. Wouldn't life be easier with only a half-dozen choices? Maybe cherry, orange, cinnamon, lemon, grape, and lime?

Now more than ever, complications go hand-in-hand with our choices, especially when you add the computer and internet into the equation.

Enormous amounts of information are out there in Cyberland. Maybe it's just too much for any one of us to handle. When I enter a term into the Google search box, I am bombarded with pages and pages of sites. My simple question retrieves anything and everything remotely related. Wouldn't it be nice if there were someone who could read my mind and unearth my answer without any detours?

Don't despair, 50+ers. Help is just around the corner.





No comments: