Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Eulogizing a Shirt: Improving Your Life

When I first met him last week, he described himself as previously socially inept. Now I was listening to him speak both eloquently and humorously of his old friend.

Not many people can eulogize a former shirt as capably as Colin. I was figuratively present at several events marked (literally) on the fabric. I envisioned him sharing his favorite lobster bisque with the shirt. I imagined this English gentleman deftly sipping his wine but missing his mouth as he chatted with the pretty girl at his side. I could picture his wife as judge, jury, and executioner of his adored piece of nostalgia.

Seeing his comrade not only tossed away unceremoniously but also being driven away in a thrift shop van must have made him choke up some. I could feel his emptiness upon detecting the gross absence in his closet.

Colin may have had trouble communicating before. But certainly not now.

He enrolled in Toastmasters. And it wouldn't surprise me if he availed himself of adult education classes. Or participated in some volunteer organizations. But you can be certain that whatever he is doing, its side effect is promoting better health, and giving him confidence and better self-esteem which he was so eager to acquire not that long ago.

Bravo, Colin.

No comments: