Saturday, January 17, 2009

Young @ Heart Keeps Us Singing

I am blown away by Young@Heart, a musical theater group of 71 - 93 year olds from Northampton, Massachusetts, collaborating with other arts groups and wowing sold out audiences in the United States, Europe, Australia, and Canada.     Among the acts they've performed under the direction of Bob Climan:  Vaudeville skits, pop songs, female impersonations, mime, and break-dancing in productions such as "Oh No! A Condo!,"  "Louis Lou I - A Revolting Musical," "Flaming Saddles" and "I Wanna Be Sedated."    

One singer, Fred Knittle, claims that he's traveled with the Chorus from continent to continent until he became incontinent, and then had to retire. Breathing problems may have slowed him down but his marriage of 55 years has thrived on faith and trust, he claims.   "She has no faith in him and he doesn't trust her."

Check out Mostly Live.  And watch for the upcoming show in July, 2009.  I bet it'll be a doozie.    


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is hysterical! Love it love it love it. The other day when I visited Uncle Harry (96 years old, had a stroke last year), he didn't say a word. Until.....I sang his favorite song, "You are my sunshine". He joined in to sing...it was the first sound I heard out of his mouth after an hour long visit. The magic of music.