Friday, November 14, 2008

Back Pain: Nagging Discomfort


I gave in and went to Dr. C, the orthopedist. The sleepless nights, the pain getting out of the car, even the discomfort rising out of my chair (where I spend most of my days working on my website) finally got to me.

Good news. It was muscle, not bone-related. So Dr. C recommended that I take one of several over-the-counter medications for the pain and see a physical therapist or chiropractor. He also said I could check out "Patient information" on the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. What a nice resource!

To begin, follow the directions to enlarge text size because you practically need a magnifying glass to read the information.

Select the part of the anatomical display of the body where you are having problems and you will find ways you can get relief.

There's a safety alert about the ways to prevent falls, the plight of more than 11 million senior citizens each year.

The site has a specific section for seniors which covers topics such as arthritis, osteoporosis, prevention and safety, wellness, and the role of complementary medicine in treating orthopedic disorders.

Honestly, folks, this site is packed with useful information. Don't miss it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Susie, I’m sorry to hear that. I too have had back problems through the years, and my chiropractor gave me a few exercises to help. Somehow I have been able to keep the problems pretty well at bay. If you’d ever like those exercises, I’d be glad to pass them along. Also, Aleve is just wonderful – follow the directions on the bottle and it will make a big different. It’s an anti-inflammatory. I would be sure to take it with food, and you don’t want to prolong its use because it can be bad for the liver I believe if taken too often.