Sunday, April 4, 2010

Gay Retirement Communities Grow

The American Society on Aging reports that at least 21 gay and lesbian retirement communities are under construction in the United States. That's because "the number of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Americans over 65 will more than double in the next 25 years," according to Bob Moos, Knight Ridder News Service.

Since many in the gay community do not have children to call on for help, they have successfully created "families of choice."

Rainbow Vision, a 13-acre community of residences for active adults as well as assisted living suites in Santa Fe, New Mexico, provides a number of luxury services.

But more importantly, Rainbow Vision provides a place where homosexuals can be themselves among people who understand their common history.

For more on services and advocacy for GLBT elders, resort-style condos, lesbian and gay aging issues, and resources for older GLBT, visit 50somethinginfo.com


2 comments:

Diane J Standiford said...

Truth? As a gay senior, I am not sure I have a desire to live there. AND, too little, too late; for ALL of Americans I'm afraid. My retirement home is filled with caregiver immigrants, some legal, some not, few speak English. America has waited too long to prepare for this. More degrees should be available to become a nursing assistant, not just Craig's List, if you can speak--you are hired. I feel very welcome here with my partner. Never had a problem. (But then, I DO live in a progressive, libral, big city.) I seek diversity. I don't want to end my years surrounded by one "group."

Ms. 50something said...

Good for you--homogeneous communities can be boring. But then you do live in a liberal city and most of America, unfortunately, might not be that accepting.