Saturday, June 21, 2008

Dehydration--It's Serious Business

What substance plays a crucial role in almost every biological process in our body?

I'll give you a hint: It transports nutrients and it "oils" our joints and organs.

Also, it begins with "W."

You guessed it--water!!!!

Since our sensitivity to thirst diminishes as we age, we must be particularly vigilant to get the minimum 2-3 quarts of beverages our bodies need to function optimally. Experts recommend that we drink before we feel thirsty at a rate of 1+ glasses every other hour during the day. However, many circumstances demand even more fluids.

Watch for signs of dehydration. Eat salted foods sparingly and limit alcohol and caffeine intake. Know which of your meds deplete your fluids and compensate for that.

Stay cool and comfortable during the hotter months.


6 comments:

Bear Naked said...

Thank you for a most informative post.
I never knew that as we age our sensitivity to thirst diminishes.

Now that I have found out I will make sure to keep myself hydrated.

Rhea said...

I am going to be a great candidate for dehydration when I get elderly. I never drink enough water, until it's too late.

Ms. 50something said...

I, too, am not a great drinker. It's rarely more than a few sips from the water bottle. I think we just need to find drinks that appeal to us more and keep them closeby.

Ms. 50something said...

Drink away--just no coffee or booze.

Unknown said...

Wow, I never knew the sesitivity to thirst diminishes. (I'll keep it in mind when I age a bit more). Fortunately I've always been a huge water drinker. When I get up in the morning...water. Every meal...water. At my desk....water. On long walks....water. It's good stuff!

Ms. 50something said...

Andrea,
It doesn't look like you'll ever be at risk. You've developed a great habit.